I tweeted what I’m about to say long ago, but I think 140 characters simply wasn’t enough for people to really understand what I was talking about: Barack Obama is, for all intents and purposes, Milli Vanilli. Consider the following:
- Barack Obama and Milli Vanilli both were pop culture phenomenons.
- Barack Obama and Milli Vanilli both won a Grammy.
- Barack Obama and Milli Vanilli both turned out to be frauds, leading their fans to believe one thing when, in reality, they were merely lip syncing.
- Barack Obama and Milli Vanilli both admit to abusing drugs in their past.
- Barack Obama and Milli Vanilli both have ties to fantasy worlds (i.e., Spider-Man and Super Mario Bros!) Note: The President’s Bankruptcy Wormhole Theorem qualifies as well.
- Barack Obama and Milli Vanilli both like to dance.
I know there are President Obama fans out there who have read this and, understandably, are livid. However, I think any objective observer looking at the case laid out before us must admit that it’s a pretty
compelling one. Sure, it’s tough to look into the crystal ball and see whether both will have short-lived careers, but after seeing stories like this I can’t help but think the President is going to have a fight on his hands come 2012—especially if someone like Paul Ryan continues to impress. And sure, you can pour over Obama’s current poll numbers and blame it on the rain, but I think the wise choice would be to look at them as a harbinger of things to come— side effects of shoving a really bad bill down the American people’s throat. At least then you can properly strategize for the upcoming election cycles.
Again, I know you don’t want to believe the dream is over (“and I never will forget the day we met…Barack I’m gonna miss you“), but tonight when you crawl under the covers and you’re all by yourself a voice in your head will break the silence, saying: “Girl, you know it’s true.”
Update: In the wake of the midterm elections, Obama-as-one-hit-wonder stories are being thrown about. Check out hotair for its take.